Friday, October 19, 2007

laura ingalls or sarah jessica?

i prefer pigtails and tripping through fields with a fluffy dog, to smoking, non-fat venti lattes, and recycled 80's fashion. during the height of it's popularity, i practiced my own personal boycott of "S&tS" (when i had illegal HBO) because i found the 30-something characters quite irritating (not to mention, how cliche, as a female in her 30's, to admit to watching it).

the reality is; i still wear my hair in braids, but i also sit around with my girlfriends agonizing over the internal fracas of 50's american housewife versus 'feminist with a fetish for monogrammed accessories and pilates'-- only to agree to blame it all on our mothers, middle school perms, or taking a rainbow brite lunchbox to school one year longer than socially appropriate.

obviously, "half pint" then goes home to pore over the synonyms for flatulence, fornication, and foot fungus (on her laptop), to summarize the preceding "cocktail conversation".

redemptive disclaimer: i have thrown out all of my pixie boots as well as any belts that are wider than an ironing board.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lunchbox fetish sounds interesting beyond control.
I won't go further.

Anonymous said...

I am standing in Target and I swear it is 1984 only now I no longer beg my mother for a Rubiks cube...instead I debate about which toilet tissue to purchase and I check my cell phone for texts messages...I am soooo Sex in the City...

Anonymous said...

What about those DynaKids clogs from Kmart circa 1979? The ones with the flowers on them. Can you diagnose if that's why I have a Red Clog Fetish now?

Disa said...

i've not heard of dynakids clogs (i am in something of an american cultural vaccum if it wasnt on chips/knight rider/ateam/fraggle rock/fame), but i too wore wooden clogs as a younger-ster.