Thursday, May 3, 2007

management

today saw my first unofficial day back in the workforce, shadowing the woman i will be replacing. i am back to an office (with a window), computer, and voicemail to return. here is what i found out:

- i will be signing off on staff who request time off (that's pretty important and powerful right there!).

- i will have a tax exempt number and a credit card to go shopping at least one a month for supplies. this usually means clothes that the kids need (they each have a monthly budget from the state), and because these are the teeny, tiny tots, i get to prowl around all the dinky baby, flowery, winnie the poohey, thomas the tank enginey cuteness of it all (oh, my ovaries are groaning at the prospect).

- i will be keeping tabs on tardies, and have to give written and verbal warnings to those that are late (they have a rather space age hand print clocking into work system).

- i get paid to shop! (that one bore repeating).

now if i can just get over my chronic need to be liked by everyone...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what style of management are you going to pitch at them?

It's a fine line, Disa. Too much whip cracking and they'll hate you. Too soft and they'll walk all over you...

I for one do not envy you ...

Needless to say we shall be expecting regular updates.

Sicker Eve Folk said...

I thought for a moment that I'd never be able to hold a job with you (the tardiness policy - which, now that I think of it doesn't say anything about losing the job, at least as far as you've detailed it) but then you said that thing about the handprint star trek sh*t - I don't have fingerprints!! Lucky me! I'll come and go as I please, thank you.

saltandsaffron said...

My first day at work too, m bored and cold. Every 8 seconds there is a fresh icy cold air brushing the back of my neck, making teeny tiny hair follicles stand up in attention on my arms and back ( a usually nice feeling if someone's tongue doing the same thing :P) am just getting around.
ps: I think they like me, now if only I could loose some weight..