Friday, February 23, 2007

me too!

i try to keep 4 letter words out of my conversational english, i am not uptight (except about dirty dishes and laundry), (and being on time), (and getting a full 8 hours of sleep). my ears do not "burn" when i hear an expletive, i tend to punctuate certain situations with them myself; "&*#$, why do you always leave the dirty dishes in the sink without rinsing them first?"; "*%@^, i only slept 6 hours last night, i feel like poo!"

i love: organizing my books on the shelves; sleeping on 'just been washed' sheets; travelling; picking the white gunk out of my belly button; road trips; newly shaved legs; garlic and onions; scars; annoying my mother; plucking black hairs; popping the dimples on fountain drink lids; encouraging the rest of the family to get in on the act of annoying my mother; the smell of pencil shavings; the sound when you rip raw chicken; scraping ice and brushing snow off my car in big swoops (when i have nowhere i have to go in a hurry).

i [like] you.

friends terminate phone calls with their parents, close friends, and partners using the 4 letter word. i have never wanted to parrot it back just because someone else "said it first". avoidance, or in the "ditto"-like manner of prince valium when he is marrying princess vespa finally at the end of spaceballs; "me too". i have never been the first to say it, and once it was said to me i responded with a "thank you". the power (or fear) of the statement is found in the personal pronoun "i". not "owning" it is so much easier to hear, and occasionally even say.

No comments: